Monday, August 22, 2016

My High School Experience with English

I feel that my high school experiences differ from my peers that are taking this class. My senior year English class was not challenging at all. At the time, I did not see an issue with this, but now I am realizing that I am at a disadvantage. The only year that had required reading was sophomore year. From what I remember, they was The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, and A Separate Peace by John Knowles. Out of these four, A Separate Peace had the most effect on me. I enjoyed it because of the dynamics of Finny and Gene's relationship. It also opened my mind and allowed me to reevaluate my relationships with others. I hope and believe that this class will give me new ways of thinking, like how A Separate Peace did, and not like my junior and senior year English classes.

1 comment:

  1. I read those four in high school as well. I worry a little when the required reading doesn't change at all in 20 years. Those are definitely good books, though.

    ReplyDelete